One of our hometown Minor League ball teams, the Gateway Grizzlies, made headlines a couple of years ago by introducing the Krispy Kreme hamburger as part of thier concession selection. That would be a hamburger with cheese and bacon with a split krispy kreme glazed donut as the bun. Day-yum! (Of course, Paula Deen, being the butter and grease queen that she is, has outdone the original by bringing a fried egg and an extra donut to the party...)
Back to those wacky Grizzlies...it seems crazy-ass food items are thier schtick now. Here is a list of the food specialties that will be available throughout the season this year (from the Grizzlies website):
- Baseball’s Best Soft Preztel: Consists of a J&J Snack Foods SUPERPRETZEL® that is marinated in Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce and served with a slice of mozzarella cheese melted over the top of it. The soft pretzel will come with your choice of ranch or blue cheese dressing. It is available all season long.
- Chili Cheese Dog: A Farmland 8:1 hot dog smothered in chili and topped with shredded cheddar cheese. It is available all season long.
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich: Buffalo chicken strips layered on a fresh baked bun then smothered in Swiss cheese and ranch dressing. Grilled onions are optional and it is available all season long.
- Bratchos: A diced bratwurst marinated in tangy buffalo sauce placed on top a boat of tortilla chips and nacho cheese sauce. It is available from June 19th to June 27th.
- Porksteak and Sweet Tea: A grilled porksteak smothered in barbecue sauce and served with a cup of sweet tea. It is available from July 1st to July 3rd.
- Twinkie Dog: A deep fried Twinkie is cut open and a Farmland 8:1 hot dog is deep fried then placed in the middle. It is available from July 11th to July 13th.
- Taco Dog: A deep fried Farmland 8:1 hot dog is placed in a crispy taco shell and topped with your choice of shredded cheese, sour cream, and taco sauce. It is available from July 21st to July 23rd.
- Philly Cheese Steak Nachos: Tortilla chips draped with shredded steak and topped with Cheese-Wiz. It is available from July 27th to August 4th.
- Crazy Corn: Popcorn mixed with Peanut Butter M&M’s. It is available August 19th to August 24th.
- Super Pierogies: Mrs. T’s Pierogies topped with chili, shredded cheddar cheese, and diced onions. It is available from August 29th to September 3rd.
Did you see that?!? TWINKIE DOG!! Like, whoa. I'm not saying I wouldn't try it...but that's some crazy food shennanigans to be sure. And I must admit, we'll probably making up a batch of Bratchos or two this summer. That's pretty darn brilliant, I think. And it's fun to say, too.
So, readers...thoughts? Do you want to try any of these? Or do they disgust and horrify you?